Happy Solstice 2010!
What are some things that a real, honest-to-goodness "far left" would be agitating for, and why isn't anyone doing just that?I like most of these ideas. They seem somewhat left of center in the real world. Too bad I'm stuck in this one where we're taught to consider these ideas a far radical fantasy of socialism bent so far left its fascism, or something.
Here's a start:
How many of these are even "far left" ideas? I'd agree with most of these. Basically I'm describing Europe here, not Maoist China.
- Nationalize the oil companies.
- Guaranteed job or income for everyone, put to work on infrastructure investment projects, alternative energy projects, retrofitting buildings to be energy efficient, etc.
- Cradle-to-grave Medicare-For-All.
- Child care for all.
- Eldercare for all.
- 6 week paid vacation for everyone.
- Triple Social Security's payments, lower retirement age to 55.
- Worker representatives on Boards of Directors.
- Limits to the how much of larger companies can be owned by a person or entity.
- When companies reach a certain size they become public entities. (Because they have so much effect on everything.)
- Companies responsible for externalized cost payback.
- A person whose job is replaced by technology receives for life a share of the savings.
- Bring back 90% top tax rates. (OK I have been agitating for that one.)
- Very very high estate taxes on very large estates. Maybe up to 99% on estates over $1 billion.
- Freedom from distraction. We have a right to our own attention, free from advertising and commercialization. The right to public spaces free from commercialization.