Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Oenophile Disaster

February 13, 2007
Scalzi's Pix and map remind me:

Just arrived back at Antioch from the Navy (circa 1969), I was lucky enough to have a former room mate and best friend who provided shelter while I sorted myself out.
Life continued and I discovered my friend Richard had invested in wine. He had, I seem to remember, 39 cases of a Montrachet 1957 stored in a three sided barn adjacent to his house.
Then came a storm, not quite as ferocious as that John Scalzi and the East Coast are currently experiencing, but enough to freeze the wine in the shed. That destroyed the investment value.
The investment was gone, sad to say, but the wine he served for the next little while was far more delicious, prized, exquisite, and valuable then most of what I have experienced since. For that, and much, much, more, I thank him.
--ml
tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment