Monday, October 22, 2007

Management Imponderables

Back in March I told one of Earle's favorite stories.
In mid October, Morrison Bonpasse made a comment in which he noted that his grandfather's (A Harvard alum in Chemistry) family had owned Union Paste. He suggested that the tale may have been "enriched."
I replied in the thread that the point of the story remained good whether it was literally or only metaphorically true.

Since then it occurred to me to wonder if my words could be construed as critical of a particular company, viz: Union Paste. This was never my intention. Nor did I ever hear Earle speak critically of the concern. I apologize for anything I may have written that gave that impression.

Rather the tale focused on a general flaw in our species. Luke 6:41 notes this flaw: "And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"

We have a tendency not to see what is right in front of us that is counter to our purpose. This leads to absurd decisions and stupidity. We also tend to assume that highly educated experts are the only useful source of information. Often the most important bit of information is so commonly known that no one thinks of it. Hence the definition of an expert as another village's idiot.

It is why skepticism is the only sound basis upon which to apply the scientific method.

It is also why a fact marks the point where inquiry ceased, rather than the result of the inquiry.
--ml
tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment