Friday, December 07, 2007

Another Fruit Cake

UPDATE! Read before baking!

Ann reminds me that Dorothy made another fruit cake less molassesy dark, but also rich and moist and loaded with dates. Ann says she has encountered the recipe now and again in odd places. Once she saw it in Vogue magazine. It is called Tropical Fruit Cake and features red and green maraschino cherries and whole Brazil nuts. The last item is lacking in the Royal King Fruit Cake recipe as Dorothy made it which leads me to wonder if I have conflated the two recipes in making my own version. Hmm. frailty. Mumble...mumble.


Tropical Fruit Cake

Categories: Cakes
Yields: 6

3 cups Brazil Nuts
1 pound Dates Pitted
1 cup Maraschino Cherries Red & Green Mixed
0.75 cup Flour All Purpose
0.75 cup sugar
0.5 teaspoon baking powder
0.5 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Dump nuts & fruit into a large bowl. Sift dry ingredients together. Add to fruits & Nuts. Mix with hands until well covered (The nuts and fruit, not your hands, silly.) Beat eggs in a small bowl until foamy. Add vanilla. Pour over fruits & nuts. Mix well. Bake in greased, papered loaf pan in a 3000f. oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.


--ml
tags: , , ,

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE fruitcake. I only eat my own - and - will nibble if it's apricot pecan from that place in Corsicana.
    I'll have to dig out my recipe - I'm a fan or the - of course,
    pecan, not so nuts about brazil nuts.
    Used to love driving to Indio for my dates, sigh, now I have to depend on the luck of the draw - even the frsh organic I bought at whole foods last year were low quality by comparison.
    oh yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Medjool Dates are pretty good, usually.
    Certainly there are a great many variations on fruit cake. That would be a good thing as people are so very much more various.
    --ml

    ReplyDelete