Saturday, December 29, 2007

My Foolish Feast

I have long believed, without evidence beyond my laughable wit, that the Twelve days of Christmas were twelve days in duration.
Elaine informs me otherwise:
My source (Matthews, J. 1998. The Winter Solstice) says that

Christmas Day is just Christmas Day and thus = Day # 0
Day #1 =
St. Stephen's Day a.k.a. Boxing Day
Day #2 = St. John's Day a.k.a. Mother Night
Day #3 =
Holy Innocent's Day or Childremass
Day #4 = The Feast of Fools

Day #5 = Bringing in the Boar

Day #6 = New Year's Eve a.k.a. Hogmanay

Day #7 =
New Year's Day, a.k.a. The Kalends of January
Day #8 = Snow Day

Day #9 = Evergreen Day

Day #10 =
St. Distaff''s Day
Day #11 = Eve of Epiphany, a.k.a. Festival of the Three Kings

Day #12 =
Epiphany, a.k.a. Twelfth Night

also note that Matthews considers the Winter Solstice to last two days, 12/21-22
So, happy fourth day all even though five days have elapsed since Christmas.
I have no problem adding twelve to zero to produce twelve, the math works. But I think there may be some objections in making Christmas a nothing day.
--ml
tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment